Here are the steps to follow for the configuration
for Dial-Up Networking and the network settings with Windows 95 or 98. This document
refers to both the French and the English operating systems.
Please note that the steps described
below are very relative. According to the configuration already done, by
yourself or by Windows, the different options may already be correctly
Similarly, the terms used are standard
terms for the Windows environment. If you have difficulty with these terms,
first examine this by using the help of Windows from the Start menu and
#1- Installation fo Dial-Up Networking:
First, verify if Dial-Up Networking
is already installed. Double-click on the icon My Computer. If the icon
Dial-Up Networking appears, go to step#2.
Otherwise, here are the necessary instructions
for installation :
1. Click on the button Start/Settings/Control
2. Double-click on the icon Add/Remove
3. Double-click on Windows Setup Folder.
4. Double-click on Communications.
5. Check off the box Dial-Up Networking
and click on OK.
6. Place your Winblows CD-ROM in
the drive or insert the installation of communications diskette in your
7. Click on OK.
8. Follow the instructions on the screen.
It might be necessary to restart your computer.
#2 Creation of a New Connection:
In this step, you must
create and configure a new connection with Dial-Up Networking. To start:
1. Double-click on the icon My Computer.
2. Double-click on Dial-Up Networking.
If the window New Connection does not automatically open up, double-click
on the icon New Connection. A software assistant will start to help you
create the connection.
3. Type ``Info-internet`` in the box
reserved for the name of the computer you wish to call and click on Next.
4. Key in the area code ``514`` and
the telephone number of the Info-internet server ``731-1281`` or ``940-4636``
in the right boxes.
5. Change the dialing code of the country
to Canada by using the arrow situated at the right of the box, and then
by passing the list of countries and clicking on the Next button.
6. Click on Finish to finish.
7. You will then see a Info-Internet
icon in the Dial-Up Networking window.
#3 Configuration of the Dialing Properties:
If you use the call
waiting service or if your line is connected to a telephone system where
you have to dial a number to attain an exterior line, you must carry out
the modifications that follow in this step. If necessary, refer directly
to step #4
1. Make sure that your modem is installed
2. Double-click on the My Computer
3. Double-click on the Info-Internet
icon in the Connect to box, then click on Dial Properties.
If you wish to temporarily deactivate
the call waiting service :
- Click in the box which says This site
has a call waiting to make a check mark appear and to activate this option.
- Use the arrow of the selection box to determine the correct code to dial
To reach an exterior line :
- The use of a standard telephone line
is preferable for a connection to Internet. If this is impossible, complete
the section To reach an external line, first dial : inscribing the necessaty
code, which is usually 9.
4. Click on OK, click
on OK again and close the Control Panel. .
#4 Configuration of the Connection to the Info-Internet
Now that the new connection
is created, you must now configure the proper settings to the Info-Internet
1. With the right mouse button, click
on the new icon Info-Internet. From the menu that will appear, select Properties.
2. Click on Server Type. The Type of
Dial-Up Server option must be placed at ``PPP : Windows 95, Windows NT
3. Make sure that the "Log onto network" box is NOT checked off, in the Advanced Options section.
4. Place a check mark in the box TCP/IP
only, in the Authorized network protocols.
5. Click on the TCP/IP Settings button.
The black dots have to be placed on Server assigned IP address and Specify
name server address.
6. In the Primary DNS box, type``188.8.131.52``.
In the Secondary DNS box, type ``184.108.40.206``. If you cannot write
in these boxes, it is because you have forgotten to respect instruction.
7. Close all windows by pressing OK